Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does a DAB radio track stations as you move?

In article ,
JohnDW wrote:
Presumably you're considering DAB as an alternative to FM. My
experiences with (early) DAB radios taught me that they drain batteries
very much quicker than FM radios, which might be worth taking into
account. If anyone can report that modern DAB chipsets are better in
this regard I'd be pleased to hear about it.

Isn't there a plan to change the DAB coding algorithm to make
them international?

Yes - although nothing definite about the UK adopting it. It will make
current DAB receivers obsolete. The chips are cheaper to make and consume
a lot less power.

Needless to say, the UK one is the non- preferred version (again)

That's the problem with being first. And you can bet there will be a
better algorithm developed *after* the new one is adopted - if it is. It's
a fact of life with such things.

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.