Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] auctions@sheldononline.co.uk is offline

Default Mirror adhesive OK?

raden wrote:
In message , Lobster
writes
I've got an old 7'x4' mirror wardrobe door which I've decided to
recycle in the refurbed bathroom - basically by removing the glass,
cutting it down a bit and hanging it along the complete length of one
wall, above the basin. (A la Property Ladder!)

The actual glass weighs about 25kg. The wall is a freshly re-skimmed
lath-and-plaster job and is pretty solid; I was thinking of sticking
the mirror to the wall with some form of adhesive (probably standing it
on temporary battens screwed to the wall until it's set). Using screw
fixings would be awkward because (a) I haven't got the bottle to drill
holes! and (b) the positioning of the holes relative to where the
supporting studs are would look crap.

So - never having tried this before, is that appropriate for adhesive?
What to use?... not sure there's any particular need for special mirror
adhesive (unless that's best anyway) in that the back face of the
mirror is protected by nylon-thread reinforced plastic film (for
safety, from when it was a wardrobe door).

I just gobbed a load of silicone on the back of mine and let it set over
night

--
geoff

Proper mirror glue is best - sticks well, and doesn't risk damaging the
silvering of the mirror. Will take the weight easily. Screwfix sell
something suitable.