Posted to alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Solar panels-practical???

There are different types of solar panels.
One type converts sunlight to electricity, at whatever efficiency--I think
they're up to 15-20% now?

The other type simply captures the sun's heat, w/ much higher efficiency
(theoretically near-100%) using stuff like "selective surfaces", which get
super-hot in the sun.
These, being hot, would not be affected by snow, and could proly provide
most of your winter heat--assuming enough sun.

The ideal array would then be some *ratio* of solar electric to solar heat
square footage, which would vary with latitude--mostly solar electric in the
south, mostly solar heat in the north.

HD is now hawking solar electric panels, $25K-50K installed.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
During the congressional debates there was a lot of talk about
alternative energy sources. They discussed wind power and roof mounted
solar panels. Where I live, the roof is covered with a foot (or more)
of snow during most of the winter. Solar panels would be useless.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')