Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default connecting electrical cords in a home

tr wrote:

Is there a safe and accepted (NEC) way to splice/connect two regular
electric cords/wire where the connection is not inside a box ? I have
a need to make a number of splices with regular extnsion cord type wire
(reasonably heavy duty) and it would be much easier if there is some
type of clip on type slicer. The lights came with clip on type
plugs....is there a similar splicing clip for connecting the wires

Thanks, TR

If you are willing to take the time you can do a creditable job by
soldering the wires together, shrink tubing over the individual joints
and then shrink tubing over the whole spliced area and about 1-1/2" of
the cable jacket on each side of the splice. I can't comment on NEC
relative to that.

It takes a bit of planning and the correct sizes of shrink tubing. I
strip the wire ends only about 1/4" and interdigitate the strands before
flowing solder into the joint.

Works for me....But, if you don't have the equipment and skill, take the
safe route and buy longer extension cords.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)