Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default drip leak from turn of valve for main water pipe

Nothing wrong with at least 'knowing' that water can be shut off
quickly and efficiently at the kerb etc. In case of an emergency?

Even if there is a minimal charge of say $15. After all it's the
city/town who own (and should maintain?) that shutoff? In fact that's
what they use to cut you off if the water bill ain't paid.

We've only had to do it once in about 30 years; our municipality shut
off water for free and were most obliging about it. Communication was
excellent. there was a slight delay, so i stood by with the new valves
etc ready to install until they ascertained the problem with 'their'
shut off!

The kerb shut off for our property is fairly deep, some 8 feet below
ground in a bank above the road ditch in front of our house. And sure
enough some debris had fallen or dropped into the shut off access pipe
down to it! Municipality, excavated that and cleared it.

I could then proceed.

In our case the house shutoff (not the best type but when you were in a
hurry 30+ years ago building the house in the first place!) had
deteriorated. Anyway we've ended up with two quarter turn ball valves,
about a foot apart on a vertical run. With a union between them. This
inadvertently is an excellent way to shut off and drain system at
almost it lowest point; 30 inches above floor in basement!

Shut off both valves; have arrangements to catch drainage and drips.
With taps etc upstairs closed, open union. Some water will drain due to
gravity. Rig up drainage to a floor drain or container. Open tap etc at
most distant point on system and drain whole system.

Did this on one occasion and bits of a dilapidated shut off valve
washer and a small screw drained out!