Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson Brian Henderson is offline

Default Do mortising attachments for drill presses work?

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 20:29:13 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I just got a LN 12" Delta at an auction for $80.

Ebay has a mortising attachment locally. Do they work, or are they just
aggravation?
I have never actually made a motise, so it is hard to say how many I will be
doing.

It really depends on how many you'll end up doing. I had a standalone
mortising machine for a long time and I hardly ever used it, I ended
up selling it to a friend who uses it a lot more than I ever did. I
think that it, whether it be dedicated or an attachment, is something
that's only really useful if you use it a lot, otherwise there are
ways to make the occasional odd mortise that don't take much more time
and that don't take up space or cost more money.