Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Jointer/Planer Hijack

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 19:23:51 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

Guess the hyperbole went over your head, Tom. Of course jointed lumber isn't
perfectly straight and flat either, but it's considerably closer to perfect
than lumber that hasn't been jointed.

Yep. I guess you're just too smart for me, Douggie.

c) S2S lumber therefore cannot be assumed to be straight and fa;

Neither can jointed timber be assumed to be straight an fa.

Actually, I'm not so sure about fa.

Apparently you have nothing better to do than to pick at my typos.

Well, you being so smart and all, I thought you might have come up
with some new criteria that I, in my ignorance, was unaware of.

d) therefore it should be jointed before use; and finally

It should be jointed if it needs jointing.

Which is exactly equivalent to "it should be jointed if it hasn't been
jointed."

Nope, it ain't.

e) if the purchaser does not have the means to joint it himself, he'd better
order it that way or he won't get it that way.

Or he'd better get good at selecting timber.

If you think that the S2S lumber you're selecting is straight and flat, then
either your standards or your eyesight could stand some improvement.

Might be straight and flat enough, if I select them carefully.

Depends on what they're going to be used for.

A smart fella like you should be able to figure out what that means.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/