Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Do mortising attachments for drill presses work?

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 20:29:13 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I just got a LN 12" Delta at an auction for $80.

Ebay has a mortising attachment locally. Do they work, or are they just
aggravation?
I have never actually made a motise, so it is hard to say how many I will be
doing.

I find the mortising attachments to be aggravating to set up and use.
I quit trying a long time ago. I also have a dedicated mortising
machine, which I rarely use. I've also used the PC mortise/tennon
templates which is slick for short tennons, not so hot for long
tennons. I have reverted to making mortising jigs for my router, and
almost exclusively do it this way. I have several jigs that are
somewhat adjustable.

Because I had access to all these items, I could test them to see what
I liked the best. custom jigs and a router wins every time, in my
book.

Frank