Posted to chi.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Ajanta Ajanta is offline

Default Buying a kitchen sink faucet in Chicago?

HiTech RedNeck wrote:

: So, you might like the kind whose main spout is also a sprayer that can be
: pulled out. That will (obviously) give you more room over a pot than even
: the high rise pull-up type. Colored finishes (typically white or black)
: will not have the problem with chrome chipping off of plastic that has been
: mentioned in this thread. If that leaves you with an unused hole in your
: sink deck, buy a plug to fill it, which will cost maybe a couple of bucks.

For many reasons (and this includes other family members as well) we
have settled on a one handle + separate sprayer design. The debate now
is whether to pay up to 50% extra for stainless steel or live with
chrome. (Nobody I talked to can relate to the "plastic problem" at all;
maybe Dave has an old model, or some special run Moen did for some
retailer, or maybe a Moen knock-off, I can't guess.)

: Menards may be worth looking at. They don't have as broad a line as Home
: Depot but they're often cheaper.

Both HD and Menards were supremely unattractive (they may be ok if I
know just which model I want, but then I might as well buy online)
although HD does have a much larger display.

At the other extreme I found many showrooms that are very attractive
but also overpriced.

So far the best compromise I found is Remodelers Supply on Pulaski
(thanks Kenji).