Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default drip leak from turn of valve for main water pipe

I've never tried that, but it sounds like it could work, extra points
awarded for creative thinking.
There is usually a valve at the meter that can be shut off to make such
repairs. My local hardware had a key and valve turner they sold that
let you open the meter box and turn off the valve a crescent wrench
would do to turn it off, but the key is harder to substitute. That may
less than legal, but as Carlin said "Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it"