Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Default Teac X-7R capstan stalling

wrote:
I just replaced the belt with a PRB generic. Now about half the time I
have to nudge the flywheels
to get the capstans going.Happens in both directions. I cleaned and
lubed the flywheels and checked endplay. Don't have a schematic for
unit. Wondering if there is a startup circuit I should be checking?
Belt seemed to be a little tight so I gave it a good stretch. No
affect.
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,Dennis

Once you have established that it's not the motor itself stalling, just get
an original belt from Teac. They still have them. A too-tight belt can
definitely stop a motor, especially a DC motor like on the X-7R. I's not a
"start-up circuit" problem.

The motor could have bad lube or a problem with it's internal brushes.

Mark Z.