Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radiator Benders

fred wrote:
In article , 51 panggaspams51@
btinternet.com writes
Hi all.
I have a wide bay window that I want to fit
radiator(s) to.
The room size (12' x 14' x 10'height) requires 7560 btu but thats not
factoring in the gas fire.
The window sill is 54cm above the floor.
The bay (not rounded) measurements are about 70cm x 115cm x 70cm (full width
2.25m)

The Myson web site infers that its possible.
There is a web site http://www.radiatorfactory.co.uk/ are
telling us it can be done for a handsome price.

Any of you got experience of this?

I've stayed in a place that had one and it had been done very neatly by cut
and shut, done by an old hand type plumber who did it as a bit of a
speciality (it was a while ago). No idea of price but it scared me a bit that it
was a non-standard solution wrt maintainability.

I realise you have limited space but in a similar situation I have
compensated for the window loss with a small single convector in the
middle of the window and heated the main part of the room separately. A
TRV on the window rad stops it getting too hot there when the curtains are
drawn.

All a radiator is, is a container through which hot water flows with a
large surface area.

There are many ways to achieve this short of buying a custom built jobbie.

Line the walls with insulation, lay some UFH pipe in there and plaster
over it?

Get a load of copper pipe, bend it to shape and make parallel bars,
joint it all up with T connectors..and get it chromed at an electro-platers?

Get a scrap car door and seal it carefully, spray it up in magenta, and
fit pipes to it. Get an award for design. Better still get some electrc
fans and the front and rad. off a 1910 rolls royce complete with lady
and chrome.

The mind boggles.