Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Green factoids.

In message , at 23:35:41 on
Sat, 11 Nov 2006, The Natural Philosopher remarked:
Biggest container ship in the world, full of tat for brits for xmas

At least the final leg for delivery will be a relatively short one...

"If you look at the transport cost per individual item, it costs
about $10 to send a tv set from China to the UK, or 10 cents to
deliver a bottle of wine from Australia to America.
"It costs less to ship a container between China and Felixstowe than
it does to then send it on the road to Scotland," says Philip Damas,
research director at shipping consultancy Drewry."

I meant that the distance travelled is unlikely to be more than 20
miles from Felixstowe..... ;-)

Why?

I expect he's trying a backhanded insult against the good folk of
Suffolk, they being the people who mainly live within 20 miles (by road)
from Felixstowe...
--
Roland Perry