surftom

Default Hydraulics questions (a bit long)

I'd also like some good links or recomended texts on Hydraulics as I'm
starting to 'play' with them. First project will be a press. I have a
powerpack (AC 5Hp) already but I don't want to 'screw it up'
I have found and understand the basic theories, but could anyone
suggest a good place to get a glossary or explanaition of terms like
spools, 2 3 4 way valves etc.

I understand the Army (US) had a publication, but since most of those
sites were secured last year you cannot download the docs anymore.

Any reference texts (basics) you recommend?

Most of what I know was found in the Hydraulics 101 section of
http://northernhydraulics.sofastweb.net

Sorry Don, can't answer your questions but thought I'd ask on this
thread anyway.

Tom

(don schad) wrote in message . com...
Hi all.

I am scheming to build a front-end loader for my tractor, and I have
been looking into hydraulics. I have a couple of pretty basic
questions which I have generated after reading various sources and
looking through the catalogs. Any help/insight into any of these
questions would be much appreciated.

First question regards spools for open-center systems. Some Army
literature talks about open-center spools versus tandem-center spools.
Assuming a 4way with lines T (tank), P (pump), A and B (ports to
cylinder) my understanding is that in neutral an "open center" spool
connects all ports (A,B and P) to the T (tank), such that there
wouldn't be any pressure to the cylinder (i.e. it is floating in
neutral). A tandem open-center spool (in neutral) connects P to T (so
it is just passing through the spool), and closes off A and B, holding
pressure in the A/B loop.

In the first case, a loader w/ an open-center as described would come
crashing down when you let off the controls, whereas the tandem would
hold it's position. Looking at the catalogs I haven't seen a
reference to a "tandem" spool, but I have seen "open-center with load
checks", and further reading suggests that load checks will hold the
cylinder in position.

So, is what I'm calling a tandem spool the same as an "open-center
with load checks"? Does a load check in a spool close off the lines
in neutral?

Second, if you have a spool that is rated for say 25GPM, will there be
any problem running it at a lower GPM? Say 12GPM or 5? Will it still
function properly/safely?

How is pressure controled in the system? Is it just a matter of
setting the relief/bypass values, and the lowest one will control the
pressure (although I guess this would depend on how it was plumbed)?
Most seem to say that they function from 1000psi to 3000psi - does
this mean I can make any combination of pressure/flow rate in the
system to achieive my goals or fit my pump/equipment?

What is the difference between a welded versus a tie rod cylinder?
Pros/cons?

Finally, in parallel spool decks is the flow simply divided between
the open spools, such that everything will work, but at a lower speed?
And pressure in all A/B lines is the same (so all spools get there
input from the P line)? In series is it that the flow out of one
spool feeds into another spool (so input is from the T line), and we
get a decrease in the pressure (with the same flow)?

Thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate any and all comments
and info.

don