Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does a DAB radio track stations as you move?

In article ,
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
Thus spaketh Dave Plowman (News):
In article ,
Chris wrote:
There is a group alt.radio.digital where you *should* be able to get
more info. Unfortunately is seems to be populated by an anti-DAB
brigade who will advise you to buy an FM radio instead.

Beware. 'DAB sounds worse than FM' continually searches for any
mention of DAB anywhere and pops up to spew his bile.

But he has a valid point.

In the main I'm an R4 listener, and that sounds ok on DAB - apart from
when they reduce the rate at certain times. R3 also sounds ok. All the
other stations are in the main pop - and so heavily compressed at source
the final transmission medium is of less consequence if quality was the
aim. Not that it probably matters on a portable radio much anyway.
I'm not defending DAB as such as it promised good quality before the bean
counters got at it. But the fact remains it suits many people who simply
can't hear the effects of the low data rate or don't care. For those that
do, there is at present no date for the switch off of FM, and you also
have the cheap alternative of FreeView for a Hi-Fi tuner, with more
stations getting added regularly.

Doesn't stop me disliking 'Mr DAB'. He is exactly like dribble in that
only his opinion is valid and those who disagree idiots.

--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.