Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default bending 1/2 inch wide stock to a 3/8 inch radius

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 01:13:51 GMT, wrote:

Good luck....buy two pieces of stcok & return the unused piece if you
get it right the first time

I'd diagram it out full size on graph paper, and have the local machine shop
do it.

That's a thought, although I don't even know where the local machine
shop is, or what it is called. Except for one I came across that
might do this sort of thing. Despite all my objections below, it is a
good idea, and I'll consider it.

How much is your time worth?

One friend of mine rated his spare time (10 years ago, and he had a
college degree and a job in physics) at 40 cents an hour.

By the time you build jigs, and probably
mess up the first stick of metal, they could have it whipped out for you,

But just think how much I would learn. My long-time plan was to build
my own home, and it looks like I'll never do that. So maybe I can
make a bracket.

and probably even plate it to match the other accessories on the bike. They

Plating is expensive now because of water pollution requirements. I
don't think I can afford that. I have more time than money.

Coincidentally, for a couple decades or more, the guy who gave me the
bike owned a plating company, that he got from his father. Life was
good until the run-off control laws he said, and he couldn't afford to
stay in business after they were passed. Although I'm sure the water
is a lot cleaner.

Fixing this thing is really the project. I doubt very much I'll ride
it more than 2000 miles and there is a good chance it will be no more
than 200. And it still doesn't look nice enough to sell for much
money. But I loved the project. I also had a long term goal to get
an old classic car that didn't run, running, but I have no place to
keep a non-running car. The motorcycle is small by comparison, and so
far easier to work on myself.

have bending jigs and machines to make about anything.

Like I say, I will look into it. Thanks a lot.

aem sends...