Posted to alt.home.repair
wayne wayne is offline

Default Humidity and Hardwood Floor Installation

Just buy a humidifier everything in your house will benefit

Sean wrote:

Hi all, looking for some help here from people in the know. I'm about
to have select grade 3 1/4" yellow birch hardwood installed
throughout my house. The wood has been delivered and is getting
acclimated in the house. I understand that ideal humidity should be
somewhere in the range of 45% - 55% all the time in a house,
according to the company that sold it to me. Problem is, my home
humidity ranges from a low of 20% to no more than 30%. I've been
testing it with a hygrometer in various spots. Its clear to me that I
just live in a very dry house.

I live in Canada, and in winter particularly (the heating season),
humidity can be low.

My question is this: if it is installed in low humidity, and the
humidity ALWAYS stays relatively low in the house (summer and
winter), will there be a problem down the road with shrinking,
expanding, or cracking of the hardwood?

Thanks for any help or insight.