Posted to rec.woodworking
Stoutman Stoutman is offline

Default Do mortising attachments for drill presses work?

"Toller" wrote in message
I just got a LN 12" Delta at an auction for $80.

Ebay has a mortising attachment locally. Do they work, or are they just
aggravation?
I have never actually made a motise, so it is hard to say how many I will
be doing.

I bought one for my Delta DP. It works ok with 1/4" chissels. Larger
chisels require taking smaller bites in hardwood. It is not as difficult to
set up as some claim once you get the hang of it.

I use it only when I can't use my router to make mortises (which isn't very
often). I rarely need it, but when I do need it, it is nice to have.

As an aside (not to hijack your thread) can't you get by without it for most
things?

I find it interesting that Ol' Nahmie uses a mortiser very frequently, but I
have yet to see David Marks use one for ANY of his projects. Marks almost
always seems to use his router for mortising and the stuff he makes is not
too shabby.

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com