Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default I am sure this is a code violation, but why wouldn't it be safe?

Don't see anything there relevant, but thanks anyhow.
"buffalobill" wrote in message
oups.com...
see:
http://www.landfield.com/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1/

RBM (remove this) wrote:
No matter how you slice it, you're still paralleling conductors. Nec
requires 1/0 awg as the minimum size you can parallel

"Toller" wrote in message
I have one 240v/20a circuit in my shop and it looks like I need another.
If I ran them both to a subpanel, I would have 40a! That should be
rather
more versatile than 2 20a circuits. Doing it properly with #8 cable is
much more difficult (I just ran 8/3 from my generator to a transfer
switch, and it wasn't fun) and much more expensive as I already have
nearly free 12/3.

I know you cannot run a circuit over multiple wires because if one
breaks
you have an overload on the other, but each cable would be on its own
properly sized breaker, so that can't happen.

I probably won't be doing it because it is too much trouble for
something
that will kill my resale value, but I don't see anything wrong with it.
What am I overlooking? All I can think of is that if one conductor
fell
off there would be an unbalanced load between the two cables, but that
could be made moot by running both through all the same holes.

If I was smart I would have put a subpanel in the first time. If I was
really smart I would have figured out how to make the subpanel work as
my
generator hook up; but those boats have sailed.