Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hardest floor finish

rarewolf wrote:
We installed a maple hardwood floor several years ago, and picked maple
for its hardness believing even our german shepherds wouldn't be able
to scratch it. Well, several years later the floor looks like a
skating rink, and we want to consider refinishing it.

Many of the deeper scratches do appear to be into the hardwood, but it
did have 5-6 coats of finish (type unknown). Is there a hardwood
finish that would be particularly hard enough to resist dog claws?

TIA )

is this the fake hardwood laminate floor?

i understand the hardness is largely from the coating, fake floor is
supposed to have the best.

my wife wanted to do the fake stuff and i refused we have 4 dogs, i
believe their sharp nails would scratch it.

to scratch the wood the coating must already be worn thru