Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Christmas lights and fuses

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 23:57:49 -0600, wrote:

On 10 Nov 2006 05:33:54 -0800, "w_tom" wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I think the diagnosis will take more time than
replacement, and the string is low enough on the tree that it will only
a minor pain to change it out.

A string of 25 8 watt bulbs would draw less than 2 amps. Two strings
in series would not blow out that 5 amp fuse. Clearly there must be a
short in that string. Load would approach excessive if three strings
were connected through that same 5 amp fuse.

They are C9 NINE WATT bulbs. 25 times 9 = 225 watts, or slightly over
2 amps. But yes, I do suspect a short.

Mark

I suppose they used to be, although I've never seen one. They all use
7W now. C9 is the size of bulb. 25*7=175, 175/120=1.458, close to my
measured current drain. I round up to 1.5A for safety.

If you don't believe that, I'm not stopping you from measuring it.

C7 bulbs are usually 5W. 25*5, giving a current consumption of 1.04A.
G40 bulbs use a similar amount of current.

Miniature lights (series of 50) use about .2A per series of 50. That
would be .4A for 100 lights and .6A for 150 lights (common for icicle
light strings).

Allow .02A for a string of LED lights and you'll be safe.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."