Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Christmas lights and fuses

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:33:53 -0600, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

The WIRE in those light strings can't handle the 30A that would be
flowing in the first of the 20 connected strings.

True. However, the wire (probably 16 AWG)

They don't have the size marked on them, but judging by appearance
some are 16AWG and others are 18AWG (where 5A fuses are more
appropriate).

CAN handle 15 amps,

The tables I have say 10A, 14AWG for 15A. These tables came from the
NEC.

beyond which
would open the overcurrent protection device found on most outdoor electrical
circuits.

I don't have ANY 15A breakers. All the 120V ones are 20A.

BTW, I have one string that is fuseless. I never use that string
first. It's always protected by the fuses in the string it's connected
to.

You like the belt and suspenders approach to safety (overkill), I prefer the
convenience of a SINGLE overcurrent protection device on a circuit. Those
fuse-in-plug sets are, for that reason alone, the biggest pain in the @$$ ever
dreamed-up by Big Brother to protect stupid people from themselves.

Makes sense, although I still wouldn't feel right about using 16AWG
wire for 15A, at least not for more than a couple of minutes. If I
need 15A from an outlet, I'd use bigger wire than that.

Better safe than sorry? Fine. Don't use the lights AT ALL and the safety
factor rises even higher.

Of course some people will anyway, and could take advantage of those
safety features. GFCIs help too (for outdoor lights). The good ones
don't trip too much when they shouldn't.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."