Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe 46erjoe is offline

Default Polyethyene pipe from main is leaking.

On 10 Nov 2006 17:14:47 -0800, "
wrotF:

I noticed a leak at the main in our lawn and called the water dept. out
to check it out. The leak is on our side, not the street side so we are
responsible for it. Anyway the leak is from a blue polyethylene pipe
which i think is used for reclaimed water.I think it's been there since
the house was built about 23 years ago. I had a plumber come out and
look at it. He said the ployethylene is outlawed for residential
applications. He said he has tried to fix these fittings before with
galvanized fittings and other types but they just don't hold up, maybe
about a year.. He wants $1,100 to dig a trench from the main the house
and put in copper pipe.with a 10 year warranty.Is there a less
expensive way to fix this w/o putting in a new line?

Sounds like a fair price to me, especially if the line is deep and
long. He'll also make sure it's done to code and that 10-year warranty
is attractive. Get it in writing though. I think you'll sleep better
knowing that if you didn't do it quite right, you may end up doing it
over or getting that plumber anyway. Been there done that.