Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT Steve Barker LT is offline

Default 250' of old 12/3 for $15 - Great buy or rip off?

Believe me, it doesn't take 1000' to get to twenty pounds.

--
Steve Barker

"HeyBub" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
I just bought a 250' roll of 12/3NM for $15. The trick is that it is
really old. The cable bends back and forth nicely without anything
happening to the insulation, but the box is crumbling.

Is this okay to use, or might age have done something to it. Yeah, I
know installed 40 year old cable is just fine, but this will be bent up
some during installation, so it might not be the same thing.
Anyone know?

They had a second roll, but I don't think I will ever go through this
one. I just sold 420' of 14/2 (for $85) because I had a major wire
surplus from garage sales; I just can't resist a deal.

Let's see:
12G copper wire is 20# per1000 feet. You have 750 feet, or roughly 15
pounds of copper.

Recycled copper is worth, oh, $1.50 per pound or, in your case, ~$25.00.

Heck, if you could strip off the insulation, you could almost double your
money!