Posted to sci.electronics.repair
default default is offline

Default halogen dimmer

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 09:40:16 -0000, "Sammy"
wrote:

I have a 12v halogen dimmer light - a The diac is faulty. I don't need to have
the dimmer function working.
It would be ok if I could just have it at full brightness
all the time. Could I substitute 2 diodes in parallel, one
in either direction, to achieve full
brightness?. Any particular diodes?. == Sammy ==

The obvious answer would be to just get rid of the dimmer entirely.

One assumes this: 'mother and child' uplighter (240v). Is something
that already has a transformer stepping the mains down to 12 and not
just some scheme of firing the triac to maintain 12 volts???????

If this is one of the schemes that uses the firing angle to keep the
voltage from the 240 mains at 12 or lower - you don't want to mess
with it. Two diodes will replace the diac - but diacs usually fire at
~30 volts and putting diodes in will have them fire at .6 volts that
would really screw up the thing if there's no transformer . . .