Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Chris is offline

Default Do mortising attachments for drill presses work?

I bought a drill press w/ that attachment years ago. I found it very
aggravating. Eventually I bought a dedicated stand alone Powermatic mortiser
& I'm very happy

"RonB" wrote in message
The Delta Mortisers do not fit all drill presses. I bought one a few
years ago and returned it after it would not fit my older Craftsman
machine. I subsequently used one on a friends machine. Impressions:

1) It is a compromise compared to a stand-alone mortiser. It will do the
job but the shorter handles on most drill presses require quite a bit of
force to achieve a mortise in hardwood.

2) Attach and teardown takes time and disables the drill press as a
drilling machine during mortising. This can be overcome by planning but
still a nuisance.

The mortiser does its work by leading in with a drill bit and squaring the
corners with the intergal square chisel. For occasional mortising you can
do the same thing in two steps. Attach a fence and carefully drill a
series of holes of the correct width; then square corners and clean excess
between holes with a sharp chisel. If you find yourself mortising more a
dedicated machine is a good investment.

By the way, Harbor Freight sells a dedicated machine for about $100. Not
a jewel but it cuts square holes and comes with decent chisels. The hold
down hardware is crappy but the machine provides a better option than the
drill press attachment (IMHO).

RonB

RonB

"Toller" wrote in message
I just got a LN 12" Delta at an auction for $80.

Ebay has a mortising attachment locally. Do they work, or are they just
aggravation?
I have never actually made a motise, so it is hard to say how many I will
be doing.