Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default Do mortising attachments for drill presses work?

Toller wrote:
I just got a LN 12" Delta at an auction for $80.

Ebay has a mortising attachment locally. Do they work, or are they just
aggravation?
I have never actually made a motise, so it is hard to say how many I will be
doing.

I have a mortising attachment. I've used it a few times. Yes, it
works, but it's not the end-all woodworking device. By the time I set
it up and make a few test holes, I didn't find it to be a huge
improvement over drilling holes with a forstner bit and chopping out
the ridges with a chisel. If I had it to do over again, I'd wait until
I had a need to make a lot of mortises, then buy a dedicated mortice
machine. You really should chop a few mortises by hand first anyway to
appease the woodworking gods.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle