Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Trust the professionals

jon wrote:

The general consensus was to get a Corgi registered person to do the job.
Reluctantly I did this.

IIRC there were two parts to the question, the first was with regard to
a cast iron gas pipe that sounded like a disused feed? If so then
dealing with *that* pipe would be better left to the gas suppliers.

Dealing with blanking a copper connection however is much simpler.

Now this work was taking place behind a washing machine, so access was sort
of available. Anyway I always thought it was best practice to use soldered
joint on gas, but it was acceptable to use compressions where there was
access to the fitting. But if compression was used the yellow tape should be
used. The Corgi plumber has used a compression with no tape, is this
acceptable? Should I redo the job myself using a soldered joint, or should I
just loosen the compression and wrap some yellow tape, or has he done an
acceptable job?

The gas (yellow) PTFE tape is for use on threaded connections that seal
on the threads. A compression connection does not seal like this, and
hence does not require tape.

(sometimes tape is used on the thread of a compression fitting as an aid
to lubrication - it makes doing them up slightly easier but does not
change their ability to seal.

--
Cheers,

John.