Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
John Flatley John Flatley is offline

Default Lighting kitchen base cabinets... looking for ideas

Under cabinet fluorescents.

Thin GE fluorescents units (not low-voltage) make great
task lights. We got ours from Home Depot. We put them
in when we remodeled our kitchen. We had also modeled
Halogen and Xenon under cabinet pucks and rope lighting
before we decided to go with the fluorescent lighting.
We were looking for task lighting not accent lighting.

We ended up with a lighting strategy of flood light
cans in the ceiling and under cabinet fluorescents for
task lighting. The combination eliminates distracting
shadows when working on the counters. The GE
fluorescent units, which come in different thicknesses
(heights) and lengths, light the counter tops,
including a corner and over the sink. The under
cabinet lighting is on one wall switch. The ceiling
flood lights are on two other switches.

We have an interior kitchen with no windows that could
supplement the artificial lighting.

Us old farts need all the light we can get and we are
extremely pleased with the results!

John
Jacksonville, Florida

--

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine
until you start opening windows.

"SammyBar" wrote in message
reenews.net...
| Hi all,
|
| I want to light the base cabinets I'm constructing
for my kitchen. I'm
| looking for ideas on how to do that. I was looking on
my local Home Depot
| and my initial idea is to use reccessed alogen lamps,
the same that are
| usually installed to light rooms. But I'm afraid this
lamps get too hot. Is
| it safe to reccess these on particleboard? Are there
other light sources
| availables specially for this? I've seen pictures on
wall cabinets lighted
| with lamps but never I've seen them inside a base.
Any ideas on how to do