Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 250' of old 12/3 for $15 - Great buy or rip off?

Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:40:10 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I just bought a 250' roll of 12/3NM for $15. The trick is that it is really
old. The cable bends back and forth nicely without anything happening to
the insulation, but the box is crumbling.

Is this okay to use, or might age have done something to it. Yeah, I know
installed 40 year old cable is just fine, but this will be bent up some
during installation, so it might not be the same thing.
Anyone know?

They had a second roll, but I don't think I will ever go through this one.
I just sold 420' of 14/2 (for $85) because I had a major wire surplus from
garage sales; I just can't resist a deal.

I would not use it for installing electrical circuits, but it would be
okay for speaker wire or cord for misc uses so no it is not a rip off.
Gauge #14 is for lighting circuits.

Yeah, that should be real practical for speaker wire or uses other than
electrical circuits.