Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default halogen dimmer

"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

In article ,
Sammy wrote:
have a 12v halogen dimmer light - a 'mother and child'
uplighter (240v). The diac is faulty. I don't need to have
the dimmer function working.
It would be ok if I could just have it at full brightness
all the time. Could I substitute 2 diodes in parallel, one
in either direction, to achieve full
brightness?. Any particular diodes?. == Sammy ==

Not quite sure what you mean? Simply bypassing the dimmer and running the
bulb straight off the transformer should be ok. Or if you know it's the
DIAC, replace it.

I think he means replace the diac with the two diodes. Sure, that would
work but as noted above, just bypassing the whole thing should will work also.

But why does he think the diac is faulty?