Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Jointer/Planer Hijack

In article , "Swingman" wrote:
"George" wrote in message

A planer is primarily for people who do _not_ purchase fully surfaced
stock,

A planer is primarily used by most woodworkers to dimension to suitable
thickness and provide a suitable surface.

... which is why, if you want wood that's straight and flat, you don't buy
wood that's been planed but *not* jointed.

BTW, I think I just figured out why you've been so confused by this
discussion: you've been reading the word "jointed" and assuming that everyone
who uses it is talking about *edge* jointing only, without realizing that the
context makes it quite plain that we've been talking about *face* jointing.

See if you like this restatement of my first paragraph here better:

... which is why, if you want wood that's straight and flat, you don't buy
wood that's been planed but *not* jointed one face and one edge.

--
Regards,