Posted to rec.woodworking
Stoutman Stoutman is offline

Default TS_Alignment_Reinventing_the_Wheel?

All well and good, but I think I'll stick with my method. Not because it's
better, but because it's quick and it works for me: slide a (known true)
square against the blade, and test the fit with a feeler gauge. If I can't
fit
a 0.002" feeler gauge between the blade and the square at either top or
bottom
then it's good. That means the blade is within 0.002" over 3" of being
square
to the table. FWIW, that's +/- 0.038 degrees (89.96 to 90.04).

That's probably within the range of error introduced by stray bits of
sawdust
on the saw table or on the square... so I'm happy.

I'm glad you find your method quick.

For me it is much faster (I'm not bull sh*ting here) to slap the dial
indicator jig into the blade and look at the dial than to squint at a
square.

The major turn on for me with this jig was speed, the added accuracy was
just a bonus!

I noticed one other neat thing about the jig last night. My homemade throat
plate was a smidge high from the table. So I hit it with the jointer a
little, but I can remove my throat plate and STILL use my jig. Not sure you
could with a square?

Anyway. I don't want to drag this out more than it needs to be. I just
wanted to share

I am still waiting for FineWoodWorking to contact me for their "Methods of
Work". --Just kidding.

--
Regards,