Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Jointer expectations from the mill?

In article , "Swingman" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

The dispute has been over the need to joint S2S lumber to get it flat

(or
perceived lack of need, on the part of one particularly condescending,
arrogant, and completely incorrect loudmouth).

"Swingman" wrote:

Wrong again ... the "dispute" has been all along your erroneous

contention
that you need to specify "jointing".

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

You still don't get it, do you?

The only erroneous contention made in this thread has been your completely
wrongheaded (and so far totally unexplained) claim that buying S2S lumber
somehow makes it unnecessary to specify that you want it jointed.

What you apear to be missing is that "jointing", as the term has been used
in this thread, is not part of the process of producing SxS hardwood lumber
.... "planing" and/or SLR (straight line rip) is.

No, I'm not missing that at all. I understand that clearly. What *you* are
missing is that since jointing is not part of that process, then SxS lumber
still _needs_to_be_jointed_.

And, once again, you do NOT need to specify "jointing" when buying SxS
lumber.

I repeat: if you want your lumber jointed, then you need to specify that you
want it jointed, otherwise it won't be.

Ahhhh ... now that I DO agree with.

Took you long enough -- that's, what, the sixth or seventh time I've said
that?

Although, it is not normally done and, IME, most hardwood lumber yards won't
deal with it except at a much higher price, if at all.

Which is exactly why I've been saying all along that if you want it jointed,
it IS necessary to specify that.

Around here a "millwork" will have a jointer, but I wouldn't bet that all
hardwood lumber dealers or yards will as a matter of course ... and this is
an area historically known for its hardwood production.

And once more, It is an every day practice that, if you pick your SxSxE
lumber correctly, you can get by without a jointer ... as the OP as been
advised now by quite of a few of those with a better grasp of the situation
than you appear to be.

I have a perfectly good grasp of the situation -- but you still haven't
grasped the FACT that S2S lumber is NOT dead flat.

If you realize it's not dead flat, and accept that anyway, fine. I prefer
using lumber that is, and hence I joint mine before using it.

If you think it is dead flat, then you should probably visit an optometrist
before your next trip to the lumberyard.

While these facts are inarguable, you will no doubt find a way.

You haven't stated any facts yet...
.... nuff said. Knock yourself out on the subject.

--
Regards,