Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Jointer/Planer Hijack

"George" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

What you apear to be missing is that "jointing", as the term has been

used
in this thread, is not part of the process of producing SxS hardwood
lumber

Well, it's certainly unprofitable to state even the obvious to you. As
earlier, "Jointing" has nothing to do with surfacing terminology.

Hmmm ... seems that I had just clearly stated that. So why the superfulous
crap along with it?

That said, it's good to see that you agree.

As a
matter for fact, as many people who have contributed to this thread have
mentioned, jointing can only be accomplished once there is a flat face to
reference.

but, you just started this thread.

The mill edger grabs and compresses the board faces, running it
through a gang saw at standard widths. The board may still have wane here
and there, can and does twist, bow and warp after this treatment, which is
normally performed green. That's why milled lumber is undersized. They

have
to take away wood to get it flat and straight. They can do one or both
edges again, as you prefer. You pay for the waste.

No argument whatsoever ...

The powered method for gaining a reference surface to join to is to employ

Jointer, though a good thickness planer, careful work, and maybe a fiddly
fussy sled can ultimately get a flat face on most boards. Hand planes can
get a reasonable face fairly quickly as well, and may be the only choice

for
wide stock, though only a fool, in my opinion, would surface fully with a
hand plane when all he has to do is knock off major deviations to allow

the
table of the planer to bridge the remaining gaps. Used to do a full demo

of
manual stock preparation every year for every class, and that was enough.
Concept understood, we all took advantage of technology thereafter.

Again, no argument .. AAMOF, well stated.

The purpose of a machine is to simplify a task. Those who want to

construct
secondary fences or transport sleds to join an edge on their tablesaw,
shaper or router table are certainly welcome to do so, as are those who
pronounce jointers a waste of money and then brag of LN planes costing

more
than a good machine. It isn't the project that counts for them, but the
process.

Again, you're preaching to the choir ... too damn bad you had to start off
with the derogatory bull****

If the OP is Of the "expectations" thread is reading, get a jointer first.
It simplifies everything. Most furniture does not need precisely
thicknessed wood, note the furniture produced up into the middle of the
nineteenth century, but it does demand, or at least benefit from a square,
straight edge. A jointer will get you there faster, whether it's "good
enough" thicknessing or straight, square edges.

I can't agree with that in it's entirety ... but different strokes. I would
prefer to say that it really depends upon what you do in woodworking that
determines the need for a specific tool, and in what order.

A planer is primarily for people who do _not_ purchase fully surfaced
stock,

A planer is primarily used by most woodworkers to dimension to suitable
thickness and provide a suitable surface.

where it is always wise to know the language before you go ask for
something. No button at the lumber yard or mill for either Spanish or
Novice. If you want something, you'll have to learn how to ask, and

you'll
also have to learn how to check, because the people behind the counter are
often only as knowledgeable as the words on their computer screens.

Hmmm .. once again, I clearly stated that in my very first post on this
subject. Nice to see that you agree.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06