Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default How to murder people with wood?

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Doug Miller (in ) said:

| In article . com,
| "tom" wrote:
|| Pardon me, but do the words "All men (and women and kids) are
|| created equal" ring a bell? Not "All U.S. citizens", but all
|| people. Inalienable rights for_all_ people.
|
| Just curious where that appears in the U.S. Constitution....

It doesn't, of course. It appears in the Declaration of Independence -
the first act of Congress (which, to my knowledge, has never been
repudiated nor repealed by either that Congress nor any subsequent
Congress - and which is today enshrined alongside the original
hand-written Constitution.)

The Constitution also does not mention the Magna Carta nor established
(British) Common Law (or even "Jefferson's Notes") - and yet these
have very real bearing on how the United States are/is governed and
what we recognize as the foundation of our system of justice.

| Non-citizens *don't* have the same rights as citizens. One obvious
| example is that only citizens have the right to vote.

This is a non sequitur. A significant proportion of US citizens do not
have the right to vote; but that does not detract from the right to
claim *just* and *fair* treatment within the purview of American
justice.

The only "significant proportion" of US citizens who do not have the right
to vote are minors, and if you think that what the Military Commisions do to
noncitizen terrorists is bad then you haven't been paying much attention to
the way the government treats children.

Always it comes down to questions of ideal and principle and
whether/how we choose to state and act (or not) on our ideals and
principles.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar