Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default How to murder people with wood?

In article , "Morris Dovey"
wrote:
Doug Miller (in ) said:

| In article . com,
| "tom" wrote:
|| Pardon me, but do the words "All men (and women and kids) are
|| created equal" ring a bell? Not "All U.S. citizens", but all
|| people. Inalienable rights for_all_ people.
|
| Just curious where that appears in the U.S. Constitution....

It doesn't, of course. It appears in the Declaration of Independence -
the first act of Congress (which, to my knowledge, has never been
repudiated nor repealed by either that Congress nor any subsequent
Congress - and which is today enshrined alongside the original
hand-written Constitution.)

But neither is it a part of that Constitution, and therefore it is not part of
the law of the land. And that's probably a good thing, too: "... that whenever
any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of
the people to alter or to abolish it..." is a call to revolution.

The Constitution also does not mention the Magna Carta nor established
(British) Common Law (or even "Jefferson's Notes") - and yet these
have very real bearing on how the United States are/is governed and
what we recognize as the foundation of our system of justice.

| Non-citizens *don't* have the same rights as citizens. One obvious
| example is that only citizens have the right to vote.

This is a non sequitur.

It is not a non sequitur at all. The claim was made, implicitly, that all have
equal rights, regardless of their citizenship or lack thereof. And that simply
is not true. Citizens _do_ have rights that non-citizens lack.

--
Regards,