Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Jointer expectations from the mill?

In article , "Swingman" wrote:

I recommended S2S1E to the OP, because if learns how to pick his lumber,
learning that art with both sides surfaced until he gets the hang of it, he
has much better chance of satisfaction than he had previously received when
ordering his lumber "jointed", including the convenience being able to rip
to width and planing to thickness with the tools he already owned.

So you recommend to the guy who does NOT have a jointer that he should STOP
buying jointed lumber, and instead buy lumber that has NOT been jointed, so
that when he planes to thickness he's now referencing against an UNjointed
face when previously he had been referencing against a jointed (and
therefore flat) face.

And you claim he'll have better satisfaction and convenience.

I'm beginning to wonder if you even know what a jointer is for.

--
Regards,