Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Trust the professionals

jon wrote:
This is a snippet from a post of mine from last Tuesday:

Secondly she is having a new cooker and hob, changing from gas to
electric, consequently I will need to cap the old gas feed as it's in
the way.
I am a competent wet plumber but was wondering if there was any
advice for a job like this (i.e. don't do it). It seems straight
forward, Turn off gas at meter, cut pipe, make end good, then solder
on new end cap, turn gas back on, and check for leaks with gas
aerosol stuff. ( what about any gas left in the pipe when I'm
soldering, will air have got into the system during the process, etc)

The general consensus was to get a Corgi registered person to do the
job. Reluctantly I did this.

Now this work was taking place behind a washing machine, so access
was sort of available. Anyway I always thought it was best practice
to use soldered joint on gas, but it was acceptable to use
compressions where there was access to the fitting. But if
compression was used the yellow tape should be used. The Corgi
plumber has used a compression with no tape, is this acceptable?
Should I redo the job myself using a soldered joint, or should I just
loosen the compression and wrap some yellow tape, or has he done an
acceptable job?
TIA

Jon

You should have just done it yourself, and no, there is no need for tape,
gas isn't under much pressure anyway - you can stop it with one finger