Harold & Susan Vordos

Default Ultimate Workshop?

"Backlash" wrote in message
snip------
Also, thanks Guys and Gals, for the insights and ideas I have personally
received from this NG so far. Let the local farmers sit around the heater

at
the country store. I'll hang out here with you guys.

RJ

Cool, RJ!

While you're hanging out, check this link. http://rastra.com/

It's a leave-in-place foam/cement block that is almost unique ( a couple of
copycat blocks have appeared recently). Unlike any other foam block, this
one has a 4 hour fire rating and has a very high R value, something like an
R30. It can be assembled with hand tools, with the only thing out of
the ordinary needed is a lifting device to place them when they get high.
Two guys with muscle can do it, but I built a boom for our small Kubota
tractor and place them that way, using a boat winch along with the tractor
hydraulics. Susan is all the help I've needed so far, and we've completed
a shop that is 32' X 80' with a 12' ceiling , and are now building a house
that is two stories with a full basement. I highly recommend the
material. Finishing the exterior and interior can be accomplished by all
the conventional methods at your option. If you're interested in the
material, I'll gladly provide more information on the do's and don't do's.
Contact me on the side if you're interested.

The shop has a complete bathroom with a tiled shower (no tub), built in
vacuum cleaner, hydronic heating in the 6" thick slab, built in air lines
and almost all of the power built in the walls. Only the odd 3 phase item
with large wire is run on the surface in conduit. . The shop is
completely finished, right down to quarry tile coving to make cleaning up
easy. Walls are primed and painted with two coats in a light green color,
very pleasing to the eye, preventing eye fatigue. Sand blast cabinet is
vented through the wall for outside discharge using a squirrel cage blower
so there's no noisy vacuum cleaner system to listen to when using the
cabinet. A louvered discharge fan was installed for removing smoke from
welding. Compressor and built in vacuum cleaner system are inside a
separate room that is isolated by an 8" concrete block wall so you don't
hear either of them running. Lots of 8' fluorescent light fixtures, 49
total, are hung in the shop, some down at 9', others at ceiling height,
depending on where and why. I installed a length of 6" well casing for use
as a small crane in what will become my foundry area. The pipe was installed
4' below floor depth, when footings were poured, so it is well anchored at
the base and should not present any problems being used without any top
support for the loads intended.

Harold