Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Default Trust the professionals

This is a snippet from a post of mine from last Tuesday:

Secondly she is having a new cooker and hob, changing from gas to electric,
consequently I will need to cap the old gas feed as it's in the way.

I am a competent wet plumber but was wondering if there was any advice for a
job like this (i.e. don't do it). It seems straight forward, Turn off gas at
meter, cut pipe, make end good, then solder on new end cap, turn gas back
on, and check for leaks with gas aerosol stuff. ( what about any gas left in
the pipe when I'm soldering, will air have got into the system during the
process, etc)

The general consensus was to get a Corgi registered person to do the job.
Reluctantly I did this.

Now this work was taking place behind a washing machine, so access was sort
of available. Anyway I always thought it was best practice to use soldered
joint on gas, but it was acceptable to use compressions where there was
access to the fitting. But if compression was used the yellow tape should be
used. The Corgi plumber has used a compression with no tape, is this
acceptable? Should I redo the job myself using a soldered joint, or should I
just loosen the compression and wrap some yellow tape, or has he done an
acceptable job?

TIA

Jon