Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Christmas lights and fuses

On 10 Nov 2006 07:21:05 -0800, "Harry K"

snip

One other thing. Does that string work by itself? If you are
stacking plugs, the fuse in the first one is also powering the second
one, etc. A 5A fuse can only handle ONE string, which is why I told
you not to stack the plugs.

Mark

So manufacturers are producing dangerous strings of lights and advising
customers that it is okay to string 3 together? Every package I have
bought says that is okay. I have also been doing it and never (as in
not once) had one of those fuses blow. Of course those are the mini
lights, haven't used the big ones for ages but the principle still
applies,

I've used 500 of the miniature lights together without problems, for
several years. According to my measurements, this would be a load of
2A.

if the strings have the capability of being stacked (and the
instructions say ok), then it is safe to do so, even more so if they ae
UL approved.

Harry K

The LED strings say the same thing, but they use so little current it
would take 100 strings (7000 lights) to use 2A. I don't expect to be
using nearly that many.

I forget about what the instructions say (which can be very different
from reality) and go by real current measurements.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."