Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Whine in Pipes when outside hose bibs winterized

wrote:

Anyone have any ideas why my pipes start whining when water's run only
in the winter (when the hose bibs are winterized?) It's a
medium-pitched whine with a little vibration. House is a 6 year old
three level townhouse built by Centex. Thanks.

Easy test:
Turn off the supply valve(s) to the toilet tanks.
If that cures the whine, the ballcock valve in a
toilet is worn out.

Certain mfr ballcocks will set up a resonance in the
system when worn out. I'm guessing that the extra
length of piping to the hose bibbs is somehow damping
the oscillation.

Jim