Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 250' of old 12/3 for $15 - Great buy or rip off?

"Toller" wrote in message

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
I just bought a 250' roll of 12/3NM for $15. The trick is that it is

really
old. The cable bends back and forth nicely without anything happening

the insulation, but the box is crumbling.

Is this okay to use, or might age have done something to it. Yeah, I
know
installed 40 year old cable is just fine, but this will be bent up some
during installation, so it might not be the same thing.
Anyone know?

They had a second roll, but I don't think I will ever go through this
one.
I just sold 420' of 14/2 (for $85) because I had a major wire surplus
from
garage sales; I just can't resist a deal.

Actually the temperature rating is probably not the same as the new

stuff.
The cable that you bought is most likely rated for 60 degrees

centigrade.
The new Romex is rated for at least 90 degrees. Did you ever remove an
old
light fixture and find that the insulation on the feed wire in the

ceiling
box was crisp from heat?

All the wiring in my hous is NM rather than NMB. Apparently it was done

the
year before the new stuff came out. No problems so far...

I've never been a fan of using yesterday's technology today.