Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Lighting kitchen base cabinets... looking for ideas

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:

SammyBar wrote:
Hi all,

I want to light the base cabinets I'm constructing for my kitchen. I'm
looking for ideas on how to do that. I was looking on my local Home
Depot
and my initial idea is to use reccessed alogen lamps, the same that are
usually installed to light rooms. But I'm afraid this lamps get too hot.
Is
it safe to reccess these on particleboard? Are there other light sources
availables specially for this? I've seen pictures on wall cabinets
lighted
with lamps but never I've seen them inside a base. Any ideas on how to
do
that?

SB:

Aside from the possible fire hazards (which I don't know enough
about to speak on) you might want to avoid halogen or recessed
under-cabinet lights. First, kitchens can get pretty warm anyhow,
and it might be uncomfortable to work with the hands and arms
close under a hot lamp. Second, the recessed cans will take up
space inside the cabinets.

I agree. But I think the LED suggestion is *very* interesting.
That should offer the advantages of low power, low heat and
a low profile, if one can find a suitably configured product.

And if anyone does find such a beast, I too would be very
interested indeed!

The local Lowes has several LED models in stock. They aren't shown on the
Web site though. They have both puck and strip models. Not sure how bright
they are compared to fluorescent though--it's hard to tell in the store.