Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default Grounded outlet

wrote:
Mark Lloyd wrote:
I have gotten 120V shocks before. It's not something I'd want to
happen, but far from something that could be fatal. Of course, I
didn't stand in a bathtub full of salt water and stick a hot wire in
my mouth.

ML:

It could indeed be fatal. It's all a matter of how long, how good
a ground, and where it goes through you. Anything 50v or more
should be treated with respect, and favorable situations for
electrocution are not as uncommon as it seems.

Perhaps, but I've changed outlets for 30+ years with the power on and
while the occasional bite is unpleasant, it is hardly dangerous, at
least not sitting on carpet or hardwood. My now brother-in-law and I
used to plug the leads of a tester into the wall socket and see who
could hold on the longest when we were kids, he always won. While I
could do without a shock, in a house where nothing is marked, it is a
lot simpler to just change it out. It is kind of like the asbestos
thing, somewhat dangerous, but blown way out of proportion.