Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default OT Fahrenheit

On 9 Nov 2006 22:47:11 GMT, "Default User"
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 9 Nov 2006 17:22:55 GMT, "Default User"
wrote:

Fahrenheit is good because 100F is really nice and hot, and 0F is
really nice and cold. Bounds the temps that humans deal with rather
nicely. 100C is outside the range of experience (one hopes) and 0C
is coldish. Who cares what temperature water boils at?

And at the time, humans thought that THEY were the most important
things in existence.

I don't follow. We're talking about people and weather, so why would
anything else be relevant?

Reality does tend to be inconvenient sometimes. Notice how it fails to
step out of the way at those times.

The degrees F have nice granularity, so you don't have to deal with
fractional ones when describing the weather.

Could that just be what you're used to? The ratio (size of C degree to
size of F degree) is less than 2:1.

Yet we generally use fractional degrees C, but not F. I'm talking
practice, not theory.

It's probably an artifact of conversion. People use fractional degrees
C, only because they're used to degrees of a certain size, not because
such a size is in any way better.

Brian

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."