Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] pawlowsk002@gannon.edu is offline

Default Combination Fan Switch

Joe wrote:
Hi:

Can I replace a single switch that's currently controlling a
receptacle, with a combination fan/light switch to use for a new
ceiling fan?
I want to run 14-3 for a new ceiling fan installation to the current
switch, make the current switched outlet always hot and replace the
switch with a combination switch.

J:

Crud. I misread what you posted. So you have one 14/2 in, one 14/2
to the switched receptacle, and one 14/2, switched, out to the ceiling
box.
I am ASSuming the switched receptacle is in another box.

Box size needed:

14/2 feed - 2 cond. allowances
14/2 to switch - 2 " "
14/3 to fan - 3 " "
Grounds - 1 " "
Clamps - 1 " "
Devices - 2 " " if dual switch; 4 " " if two singles (pref.)

Total - 11 if dual, 13 if single.
Allowance for 14 awg - 2.00 cu in per.

You will need 22 cu in for a dual switch (4S, 1 1/2" deep, with 1/4"
mud ring min)
or 26 cu in for two single (two 2 3/4" deep device boxes, ganged). You
will need
a new box anyway, so might as well go with the two singles.

Connections:

Wire nut all neutrals together.
Connect hot from 14/2 feed, hot from switched outlet, and two pigtails.
One hot pigtail goes to each switch.
One hot from the 14/3 goes to each switch.
At the fan, connect fan neutral to 14/3 neutral. Connect one hot to
light,
other hot to fan. Connect all grounds properly. Use good workmanship.

Remember to throw out those cheesy fan mfr wire nuts and use yellow
Ideal or other decent connectors. Get a permit and have the work
properly
approved by the AHJ. Be advised that I have posted far less than you
need
to know about this job; I am not an electrician but a homeowner, and
the
Usenet is no place to learn everything about electrical work.

Cordially yours:
G P