Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Wiring question

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 20:10:43 -0500, Terry
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 19:30:48 +0200, Dave wrote:

I'd like to add net connection to a room that has existing telephone wires that
are not in use.

The wires (nine in all) go inside teh wall. They have not been used for years.
They were probably used for an in-house intercom (12V).

Downstairs there is a room with a lot of telephone wires coming into the room.
Many look like they had been used with the same intercom as upstairs.

How do I test which of the wires connect to the room upstairs.

You should go straight from the router to the computer with no
splices. Use Cat 5 cable.

The way I did my home was to just bring the cable from the basement
into the upstairs through a 3/8 hole near the wall. I put connectors
directly on the Cat 5 cables with no box.

Wireless is another option that is very nice if you have a laptop. You
will have to buy another card for your desktop.

It you're thinking about wireless, be SURE you need it. There's a lot
of disadvantages.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."