Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Christmas lights and fuses

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 18:01:39 -0600, wrote:

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 22:16:25 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

I am putting the big lights (C-9s) on my tree outside (yeah I know but
it IS 74 degrees here today). I put a 4 strands of 25 on the same
extension cord instead of the three I usually do, figuring that if I
have too much and blow a fuse, then I can run another extension cord to
the odd one. I was testing it today and after about an hour I noticed
that they weren't working any more. Upon review, though, the SECOND
strand was the one not working, not the one plugged into the extension
as usual. I had tried all of the lights before putting them up and they
obviously were all on during the early test.
So... since it wasn't the fuse on the first strand that went
bye-bye, is this likely to be a bad fuse on the second strand, a bad
second strand or should I just grit and keep the run down to three
strands?

It's too early for Christmas lights grin

In 2 weeks, it'll be after Thanksgiving. A lot of people put them out
them.

OK, here is the way to do it.

One strand is 225 watts (25X9)
Four strands is a total of 900watts.

I consider it 1.5A (a little higher than measured, for safety
reasons).

For completeness, 1.3A for a string of C7 or G40 lights. For miniature
lights, .2A per series of 50.

Any 15 A breaker can handle this and at least one more strand. (as
long as its not used for other things too).

15A should handle 10 (not all connected end to end). I'd limit it to
9. That would be 6 on a #16 extension cord (3 on one of the older #18
cords).

Your problem is you are stacking the cords. DO NOT do that.
Plug EACH light string into it's one outlet. In other words, get a
power strip (made for outdoor use)

I find 4 connected to each other to work with the older strings (7A
fuses). That should be reduced to 2 for the newer ones with 5A fuses
(3 would work most of the time, but would blow fuses too often).

Limit the connected strings to 2, and that's still 4 per extension
cord (long lines that need multiple cords). Some people forget you can
go both ways. And maybe add a couple of animated deer (about .6A
each).

Plug each string into one of the
outlets on that power strip and your problem is solved.
Last Christmas I noticed they make power strips just for this use.
They have a built in stake to stake them to the ground. Kind of a
nice setup, although they were around $25. I believe I saw them at
Walgreens.

Get the outlets off the ground (standing water). Most of mine are in
bushes or trees.

If you insist on stacking the strings, use a 3Way (cube tap) and only
stack TWO strings per outlet tap.

BTW: If you are using an extension cord for this, be sure to use at
least a #14 gauge cable.

I use a lot of #16 extension cords, but limiting current to 10A rather
than the 13A marked on them. I'll use 2 extension cords to use the
full 15A from an outlet. Anyway, most of my SSRs (solid state relays)
are 10A.

This year, I'll have more LED lights, where it's .02A per string
(allowing a bit higher than measured, for safety).

Mark

And don't forget to use GFCI's for all outdoor outlets.

I have pictures of my lights at
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com/winter.html . It's too early for
this year, but last year's are there (click on the picture if you want
a larger one). It should be similar this year, but with more LED
lights.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."